A Short Account of a Long History
A more detailed note of St.Albans’ early history is in this page. Other pages under this menu give further information about the church building.
A church is believed to have stood in Wickersley since 1150, but the first known rector, Guydo, was appointed by the church’s patron, Worksop Priory, in 1240. Frickley Hall (Ward Aldam) papers (1419) refer to the ‘Lamp of St Nicholas’ on the steeple directing travellers between Rotherham and Roche Abbey.
The tower and chancel were reconstructed in 1470. In 1836 Revd John Foster, to the consternation of the local press, gained permission to demolish everything except the tower and build a nave with a balcony.
A successor, Frederick Freeman (1880 – 1908), oversaw the adding of the chancel and sanctuary, the dismantling of the balcony, removal of the box pews, and the installing of stained glass into every window. The six windows in the nave each portray two Apostles.
The stone reredos (1891) located at the east end and depicting the death, resurrection and ascension of Christ was brought from Oberammergau, where Revd Freeman had seen the Passion Play. The oldest of the three bells has an inscription bearing the name of the rector John Elcock (1438 -1491). The WW1 memorial tablet was dedicated in 1922. In 2007 the pipe organ was replaced by a digital organ which retains the sound and façade of its predecessor.