
St. Alban's Church, Wickersley
'I worship and adore the true and living God'
A short history of St.Alban’s Church, Wickersley
The first church building in Wickersley was built in about 1150, and dedicated to St.Alban, the first known Christian martyr in Britain. There is nothing left now of this building.
In about 1450 the original building was replaced by a new one, built by Roger de Wickersley, the Lord of the Manor. A memorial to Roger de Wickersley and his wife Margaret lies beneath the central aisle of the church. This building included a tower, which is now the only part of this building remaining. The only evidence we have of the appearance of this church is a painting from the early 19th century, showing a building with a side entrance to the nave, two side aisles for part of its length, and a lengthy chancel. Nothing is know for certain about the internal layout, although it is believed that one of the side aisles contained a separate chapel.
By the 1830s the building was considered to have deteriorated to a dangerous condition, and between 1833-6 the nave and chancel were replaced, during the Rectorship of John Foster. The present nave is essentially as it was built then. The overall length and width of the building were the same as they had been previously, but the new nave was higher, wider and longer than the old nave, and the chancel correspondingly shorter. The entrance to the church was also moved from the nave to the tower. After this rebuilding the nave contained a gallery and a three-decker pulpit.
At some time during the 19th century the height of the tower was increased to its present height, by adding a new stage above the existing one. The precise date for this is not known. Evidently the pinnacles from the old church were reinstalled on top of the new tower. The tower contains a peal of three bells, the oldest of which carries the name of John Elcock, who was Rector of St. Alban’s from 1438 to 1491. The other two carry dates of 1781 and 1799. Evidence survives of the seating arrangements in this church, showing it to be segregated by social class. Also during this period a vestry and organ were built in the nave – these are no longer present.
In the 1880s, during the Rectorship of Frederick Freeman, the chancel was lengthened to its present size, the present organ loft and vestry were built, and the gallery removed. Rev.Freeman also installed the stained-glass windows, those in the nave depicting the twelve apostles; the stone reredos, the panels of which are believed to have come from Oberammergau; and the septum (low barrier) between the chancel and nave, a reflection of his high church views. He also established the church choir.
There have been no substantial changes to the church building since then, although the contents of the building have evolved as time has passed. The present furniture of the chancel was installed in stages in the first half of the twentieth century, while war memorials and memorials to past Rectors have also been added. The church now contains a modern electronic organ, sound system and projection equipment.
We trust that visitors to the building will find it a suitable place in which to worship the Lord.

